Iona Preparatory School – Academic Regents Diploma
New Rochelle, New York
Manhattan College, Riverdale, New York
B.S. Biology, Suma Cum Laude
New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York
Doctorate in Medicine
Post Graduate Training:
Intern in Surgery, North Shore University Hospital,
Manhasset, New York
First Year Resident in Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
Second Year Resident in Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
Third Year Resident in Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
Chief Resident in Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York
Special Fellow and Administrative Chief Resident, Department of Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
Chief, Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery North Shore University Hospital
Levin, Strauss, Procaccino Private Practice in Colon and Rectal Surgery And General Surgery
Staff Surgeon Long Island Jewish/Hillside Medical Center
Staff Surgeon – St. Francis Hospital
Clinical Associate in Surgery Cornell University Medical College
Senior Clinical Associate in Surgery Cornell University Medical College
Clinical Instructor in Surgery Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery Cornell University Medical College
Adjunct Clinical Assistant, Professor of Surgery Cornell University Medical College
Diplomat, National Board of Examiners
General Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Colon and Rectal Surgery, American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
General Surgery, American Board of Surgery Recertification
Colon and Rectal Surgery, American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery Re-certification
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Fellow, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Fellow, New York Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Member, Nassau County Medical Society
Member, Long Island Gastroenterologic Society
Member, American Medical Association
Member, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
Member, The Nassau Surgical Society
Member, Nassau Academy of Medicine
Member, Brooklyn and Long Island Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, Inc.
Member, United Ostomy Association, Inc.
Member, American College of Gastroenterology
Member, Perioperative Services Executive Council Committee, North Shore University Hospital
Phi Beta Kappa
Beta, Beta, Beta Biological Honor Society
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Alpha Omega Alpha
Best Doctors in America
NY Metro Top Doctors
Mendelian Medal for Biology – (Outstanding Student in Biology)
Ruth Taylor Award – (Community Service/Education Award)
Wilfred Ruggiero Award for Surgery – (Astuteness and Compassion in Surgery)
1. Procaccino, J., Labow, S.: Transcolonoscopic Decompression of Sigmoid Volvulus, Dis. of the Colon and Rectum: 32, 349-350, April 1989.
2. Procaccino, J., Lavery, I.C., Oakley, J.R. Planagan, R.A.: Morbidity of the Unrecognized Psoas Abscess Poster Presentation – 89th Annual Meeting.American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, St. Louis, Mo., May 1990.
3. Procaccino, J., Lavery, I.C., Fazio, V., Oakley, J.R.:Psoas Abscess: Difficulties Encountered. Dis. of the Colon and Rectum: 34, 784-789, September 1991.
4. Citron, M., White, A., Levin, L., Procaccino, J., Strauss, R., et al: Methylguanine – DNA Methyltransferase (MGMT) in Human Normal and Colorectal Tumor Tissue. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research: Vol. 33, 546, 1992.
5. Procaccino, J., Fazio, V., Hyman, N.,: Perianal Crohn’s Disease. In: Keighley, MRB, ed. Gastroenterology: Clinical Science and Practice – 2nd Edition. England: Bailliere and Tindall, Vol. 2, 1187-1199, 1993.
6. Citron, M., White, A., Held, D., Levin, L., Lieberman, L., Lake, M., Procaccino, J., Wasserman, P., Fuchs, A., and Yarosh, D.: 0-Methylguanine-DNA methyl-transferase (MGMT) in Human Normal and Malignant Colorectal Tissue. Presented at Poster Discussion Session at the Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research: Volume 36, March 1995.
7. Mullin, G., Cerchia, R., Kuang, Y., Reddy, G., Collier, K., Abbitan, A., Ali, E., Katz, S., Procaccino, J., Mayer, L., and Fisher, S.: Pathophysiologic Disassociation of Interluken-2 and Interluken-10 in Crohn’s Disease. Short Title: Interluken-10 in IBD. Submitted for Publication, April, 1997.
8. Popiolek, D., Kahn, E., Procaccino, J., Markowitz, J., Nodular Neuronal Hyperplasia – A Distinct Morphologic Type of Pseudopolyp in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Arch Pathol Lab Med., Vol. 122: 194-196, February 1998.
9. Procaccino, J.: Ulcerative Proctitis. Podium Presentation, American College of Surgeons Fall Clinical Congress Post Graduate Course in Colon and Rectal Surgery: October 1998.
10. Educational Forum on “Health Line” Topic: Colon and Rectal Surgery. Aired December 1998.
11. Procaccino, J.: Chronic Ulcerative Colitis, In Cameron, J. (ed): Current Surgical Therapy, 7th ed. St. Louis, CV Mosby, 2001 pp 181-185.
12. Elkowitz, D., Procaccino, J., Cuomo, J., Boss, E., Markowitz., J., Kahn, E.: Risk Factors for Carcinoma at the Pelvic Ileal Pouch. Gastro-Enterology, 2001.
13. Coady-Fariborzian, L., Angel, L.P., Procaccino, J. Perforated colon secondary to virtual colonoscopy: report of a case. Dis. Colon and Rectum 2004 Jul; 47(7):1247-9.
14. Strauss, R., Procaccino, J., Moffa, M.,: Perianal Padget’s Disease and Bowen’s Disease Chapter 2nd Edition: Current Therapy of Colon and Rectal Surgery in Press; July 2004.
15. Poster Presentation – R.J.Dring, L.P.Angel, J.A.Procaccino, V.Scarmato, CT Angiography: A New Modality in the Localization of Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding: First prize, New York Society Colorectal Surgeons Resident’s Night March 31, 2005.
16. Angel, Luz P., Procaccino, J., Intraperitoneal hemorrhage after endovascular embolization of a cerebellar hemangioblastoma: Surgical Rounds, July 2006, 334-337
17. Procaccino, J., et al: Chronic Ulcerative Colitis, In Cameron, J. (ed): Current Surgical Therapy, 9th ed St. Louis, CV Mosby, in press.